The current processing platform processes over 750million transactions per year, over different channels including open-loop card schemes, 80+ closed-loop card schemes, various funding channels and UK and SEPA bank payment rails. This is used by a wide range of programmes including fintech challenger banks, travel products, employee benefits, retail gifting.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a product manager to add real value to a platform used by millions of users.
Part of a fast-moving environment where key objectives include:
- Management of processing business rules product domain covering:
- o Action the strategic objective of breaking down the existing processing monolith system by re-building new and improved micro-service components using a product approach
- o Added value business rules applied during transaction processing including card acceptance management, expense spend policies, transaction fees etc.
- o Ensuring solutions are scalable, robust and fit for purpose
- Support the business transformation into a more product centric organisation to increase focus on better services and more balanced priorities on internal needs
- Leading the product domain cross functional team from a business perspective
- Responsible for leading innovation in the domain
- Collaborating with stakeholders, clients and internal departments to capture business requirements.
- Prioritising the backlog with a focus on maximising value
Responsible for (direct reports?)
0-2 reports – initially no reports but opportunity for management of reports in the team (e.g. analysts or junior supporting roles)
Experience & Knowledge
- Demonstrable experience in the card processing space, ideally with Mastercard with strong coverage of features listed in the product domain (see objective section)
- Minimum of 3 years product management experience
- Demonstrable experience in scaling a product
- Can give examples of key deliverables, explain their role and articulate the value delivered to the business
- Experience of working closely with Business Analysts and Developers in a collaborative way
- Can comfortably articulate how card payments function and how the exceptional scenarios are dealt with to avoid financial loss
- Familiar with Agile and Scrum methodologies
- Can assess & carry out data analysis to make better informed decisions
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities against deadlines
Key Result Areas
- The Product domain delivery of the minimum needs of clients to facilitate the move away from the legacy platform
- Deliverables are operationally supportable, secure and scalable
- Driving continuous improvements across the product domain and solving pain points
Be the business single point of contact for a specified functional domain.
- Working with the product domain cross functional team to:
- o Capture and document clear user stories or standard feature overview
- o Capture estimates for roadmap and sprint planning
- o Prioritise the backlog to deliver and a focus on adding value to the business
- o Package the service for in terms materials for clients, operations and client delivery team to roll out the feature
- o Where required support and address impediments outside of the team
- o Give the development teams clear business context and measurable business objectives to motivate and get buy in to deliver on time
- Rationalising the business case to prioritise the backlog in line with strategy, including:
- o New features
- o Fixing or optimising existing elements
- o Operational improvements including security, monitoring and visibility into the health and behaviour of the domain.
- Understand business cases and be able to arbitrate between requests, challenging requests where appropriate with relevant data
- Independently managing the implementation of requirements from shaping through to build, acceptance testing and rollout end-to-end.
- Monitor development delivery while identifying, challenging and overcoming delays and obstacles
- Removing impediments and minimizing disruption to maximise development efficiency
- Planning, effort estimations, and status reporting
- Support other team members to achieve company objectives along with promoting a positive collaborative atmosphere
- Packaging of the services/features for clients, operations and the delivery teams to rollout the feature
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with teams both onshore and offshore.
- Ability to emphasise with clients and & internal users to better understand their needs and pain points.
- Ability to work with external international clients and 3rd parties in a customer facing business
- Quick learner and self-starter within a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organised, with experience of working within an agile environment
- Leader, inspires team and leads by example
- Positive attitude and outlook, determined, enthusiastic and resilient
- Work independently with agreed remit and autonomy
- Clear concise reporting, outlining key points
- Analytical mind-set and can evaluate the business case/value
- Comfortable being a bridge between the technical and business worlds
- Familiar with JIRA, Confluence and agile/scrum methodologies
- Experience at a high-level payments scheme standards such as ISO8583 & ISO20022
- Experience with concepts of APIs and webhooks
- Nice to have: able to construct SQL to retrieve data from databases
- Foreign languages a plus: Spanish, Portuguese or French
The role involves meeting clients, requiring occasional travel to either UK, Europe (potentially between 1-3 days), International (exceptional, but can be 3-5 days in duration)