The position of Network Architect sits within the Network Strategy & Architecture team, within the UK Engineering directorate. The team consists of both “SME” Network Architects (e.g. Mobile, Access, Content Delivery, Security), typically providing SME across the group & “matrix” covering multiple domains.
Matrix and SME does not apply seniority and depends on an individuals’ skillset, though SME Architects in reality are required to take responsibility for E2E architecture and thus typically require some strong general networking background, as well as the requisite soft skills. The “strategy” element of the team sits within each role; i.e. team members are expected to engage actively with stakeholders to provide guidance on strategic direction.
The main high level responsibilities required to be successful in this role are:
- domain expertise within e2e architecture
- project technology leadership
- technology evaluation & vendor management
- stakeholder management
- technology platform lifecycle management.
Key Job Requirements:
- 10+ years’ experience preferred
- Networking experience and qualifications (esp Cisco, Huawei, Nokia)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Modelling experience (e.g. cost-modelling for complex business cases) an advantage
- Programming experience an advantage.
- Willing to travel frequently (mainly EU)
- (Ideally) London Based
Additional info –
You are an individual with strong experience in one or more of the below technical areas to take the lead on the end-to-end technical delivery for a technical programme. You will work independently under the supervision of a senior architect to:
- Prepare and evaluate commercial tenders; model solution costs; prepare commercial contracts; produce high-level architecture documentation; and guide project delivery plans.
- Fibre Access Networks – Optical distribution network (ODN), GPON
- Broadband Aggregation Networks – Metro DWDM, High-capacity Ethernet & MPLS Aggregation, Broadband Subscriber Termination
- Content Delivery Networks – IP engineering to support CDN selection, content mapping, traffic steering, “OTT-TV”
- Experience working in a similar role for a network operator or network equipment vendor
- Hold responsibility for delivering large projects or deals (>£10m TCV)
- Work with wholesale services e.g. Openreach LLU / OSA
- Multi-vendor network integration projects