The Primary purpose of the Access Network Design role is to design FTTx/xDSL solutions within the Access network domain.
The Group Access Networks team gives Engineers a chance to work on the UK's second largest network in a non-legacy environment. The Group Access Networks team is responsible for design, development, specification and evaluation of copper, fibre, wireless access technologies and the network infrastructure that supports them and ensures that the full potential of such technologies can be realized by the company for deployment in its current and future Broadband & Talk, Mobile and Over the Top TV services.
- Design and specify tests of the LLU ADSL and wholesale FTTC/P Access network services that our organisation provides to its customers.
- Design, test and provide 3rd line support for the UK LLU ADSL Access network, its associated diagnostic and management platforms.
- Replicate our wholesale network providers’ FTTX (Openreach VDSL, G.Fast, GPON) access networks in our Lab and manage associated configuration and testing and diagnostic tool recommendations.
- Interact with the Access Network CPE design engineers to ensure end-2-end functionality of the LLU and wholesale networks with Broadband CPE and Wireless/Mobile devices that connect to these Broadband services.
- Design and manage xDSL Diagnostic and management systems and processes that performance manage, assure and diagnose these services.
- Liaise with our ADSL and DLM equipment supplier
- Liaise with our wholesale FTTx providers
- Liaise with UK based business stakeholders
- Liaise with other parts of the business to proactively analyse trend data on ADSL, VDSL, G.Fast and FTTP performance.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing and reviewing high level design technical documentation
- Contribute to and approve legal documentation eg Statement of Work/Requirements, support contracts and RFI/RFP documentation.
- Manage Vendors and third party outsource companies.
- Provide final sign-off of the design and testing within their area of expertise.
Other skills/characteristics required are:
- Experience working with Access Network technologies, including xDSL, Dynamic Line Management (DLM), FTTx, G.Fast and PON.
- Knowledge of protocols used in xDSL,FTTx, GPON.Knowledge of home networking, communication and management technologies and products (802.11, Ethernet, Powerline, CWMP-TR-069 etc.)
- An ability to work collaboratively on projects that span a diverse group of technical and non-technical colleagues, to present to Senior Managers level and relevant Stakeholders
- A proven experience of end-to-end product/solution delivery
- An ability to transfer/abstract skills in one speciality to new fields
- An experience of writing professional documentation of designs, test plans, operations handover and support processes
- To analyse the performance of detailed designs in an environment that closely mirrors real scenarios.
- To maintain ongoing relationships with existing and potential equipment vendors, support partners and business Stakeholders to make sure the products are best in class for Customer Experience and Network Operation
- To act within 3rd line escalation to provide support to the Operations & Implementation teams where required.
- Excellent problem solving ability and tenacity in finding root cause for complex issues with focus on delivering results
- Experience in using Wireshark sniffer tool and analysing sniffer logs
- Ability to “own” problems and drive investigations to conclusion
- Ability to make decisions (technical and program related) without supervision.
- Effective team player and good communicator
- Experience in using line simulators, noise generators, traffic generators
The following skills/experience would be an advantage:
- Experience with Nokia ISAM 7302 and Lucent Stinger
- Experience with Nokia 5530 Network Analyzer-Copper
- Experience with any dynamic line management system
- University Engineering or Computer Science degree or equivalent an advantage.
- Knowledge of the most UK adopted BT SIN and NICC ND standards an advantage
- Other relevant professional network qualifications (eg. CCNA/CCNP/CWNA)